Perfect Brownie Contender #3 is the tale of the little brownie that could. The little brownie that should have. So much promise. So much excitement. And then at the end of it, multi-tasking was my undoing. I blame my mother. She telephoned me right when I was calculating cooking times and I mucked it up. I should telephone her and scream “do you realise what you’ve done!” But that could be a bit dramatic. Deserved, but dramatic.
All in all not a bad brownie. Just not the best one ever. It’s actually a little bit closer to a cake, which if you’ve read my brownie guidelines is utter sacrilege… At any rate, if you’re not right into the real fudgie brownies you’ll probably love it. And it has nuts in it so it’s practically healthy… Enjoy!
- 200g dark chocolate broken into pieces (I use Lindt 70%)
- 250g chopped butter
- 1&1/4 cups of brown sugar (packed well)
- 4 eggs*
- 1/4 cup sifted cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/4 cups sifted plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup of chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 155 degrees celsius.
- Place chocolate and butter in a microwave save bowl and microwave on medium power for a two minutes. Stir, repeat if necessary. You can also do this stirring over the stovetop, but I take the lazier option! Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the sugar, cocoa, flour, baking powder and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the chocolate mixture and mix well until combined.
- Mix in macadamia nuts
- Pour into a 20cm square tin lined with baking powder
- Bake for 25 minutes**
- Allow to cool slightly in tin before serving
* I used four massive free range eggs. This contributed to the cake like brownie. If your eggs are more like emu eggs like mine were, perhaps back it off to 3.
** This is the time I baked my brownie for. I would recommend lessening that to approx 20 minutes if you want a gooier brownie (damn it Mum!)
At the end of the day it was rated a 7. It should have been higher. This one will be repeated with the phone off the hook.
Let me know your thoughts!