Oh how I wish I had an Italian Nonna! Or Mother… or Mother-in-law! Or a surrogate Italian Grandmother who loves to cook and has no family nearby. I would gladly be her adopted grand-daughter!
In my head (and dreams) an Italian Mother or Grandmother loves to cook. cook, cook for her family and they get pure delight from watching their loved ones eat their wares… I do not have an Italian mother and I was not forward thinking enough to marry an Italian man!
Alas my Mum doesn’t cook and my Mother-in-law doesn’t come over laden with baking or casserole dishes.. Oh the agony!
So, having to fend for oneself, I have had to bake all my wares myself. Outrageous isn’t it?
This recipe is another one from my sister. It is quick, delicious and for those concerned is also gluten free!
Gluten Free Italian Almond Biscuits
- 2 cups Almond Meal
- 2 cups icing sugar mixture
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups of flaked almonds
- 1/2 cup of icing mixture (extra)
- Line an oven biscuit tray with baking paper. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius
- In a food processor, blend almond meal, icing sugar, egg white and extract together until a sticky paste forms
- Roll teaspoons of mixture into small balls.
- Roll in flaked almonds and then icing sugar to dust.
- Place on tray and bake for 15 minutes until slightly golden
- Cool on tray
- Transfer to tummy
This recipe only makes about 18 – 20 (depending on how small you make them) I usually double the recipe because they go very fast!
Try another yummy recipe: Dairy Free Apple Loaf